Spend time at a “front-line” agency which serves those who are homeless. Meet and talk with people who are experiencing homelessness. Make it personal.
Don’t know where to start? Here are some Ideas:
- ICPM (Inner City Pastoral Ministry): A rotating roster of congregations that serve lunch after worship at Bissell Centre on Sundays. Contact www.icpmedmonton.ca
- The Mustard Seed: Serve an evening meal with your group or become a regular volunteer for one of their many programs or events. Contact theseed.ca
- Marian Centre: Help prepare and serve lunch at the Marian Centre. Contact 780-424-3544 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jasper Place Health and Wellness Center (JPHAWC): Spend time establishing relationships with clients, help prepare and serve meals, and bring your group in to serve. Contact www.jpwc.ca
- St. Vincent de Paul Society: To find a location and opportunities near you. Contact 780-471-5577 or www.ssvpedmonton.ca
- The Salvation Army Addictions and Residential Center: for volunteer and donation needs, contact 780-429-4274 or www.salvationarmy.ca/alberta
- Hope Mission: Help serve a meal or help with other needs. Contact www.hopemission.com/get-involved/ volunteer/volunteer-in-edmonton
- Mosaic Centre: (NE Edmonton) Help out with donations, clean up, or a variety of other needs. Contact 780-722-3247 or Mosaiccentre@shaw.ca
- Bissell Centre: Help out with special events, bring your group in, or become a regular volunteer. Contact 780-423-2285 extension 264
- Boyle Street Community Services: Volunteer in the drop in or with one of the many other programs, contact 780-424-4106 extension 264 www.boylestreet.org
- Operation Friendship: Connect with seniors living in Edmonton’s inner city. Contact 780-408-2958.
- Youth Empowerment & Support Services (Y.E.S.S.): In 2014, over 241 youth were counted in the Edmonton Homeless count. Support youth experiencing homelessness in Edmonton through the Y.E.S.S. shelter and Armory Drop-In Center. Contact email@example.com
- The Neighbour Centre provides programs and services to individuals experiencing homelessness and poverty to help them in their journey to build, and sustain, a healthy life. To volunteer, donate or learn more, contact 780 439-5216 or at www.theneighbourcentre.ca
- Open Door Project: works to prevent homelessness by supporting former inmates through their successful transition from prison back into the community; providing mentorship, support groups, and chaplaincy services. Contact 780-439-3654 ext. 805 or www.theneighbourcentre.ca
- Participate in the annual Homeless Connect event.
- Contribute furniture and household goods to Homeward Trust’s FIND program. Contact 780-988-1717 or firstname.lastname@example.org