Over 60 people from many faith communities turned out for our plenary meeting October 29 at the Catholic Pastoral Centre. Steering Committee members reported on our current activities, some highlights of which were the following:
- We are fully funded for this year thanks to support from the Catholic Archdiocese of Edmonton, the City of Edmonton, the Edmonton Community Foundation, and the United Church Edmonton Presbytery.
- Our search for a full-time Housing Ambassador is nearing completion.
- We are working on a new workshop presentation for community groups to complement our existing one for faith groups.
- The Interfaith Habitat for Humanity Build this year was a resounding success, with volunteers coming from a wide cross-section of faith traditions. The 2016 build has been scheduled for the summer months (rather than spring as in the past).
- The Welcome Home program continues to produce great outcomes and is looking for more volunteers as well as donations to pay for program participants’ activities.
Anglican Bishop Jane Alexander shared the recommendations of the EndPoverty Edmonton task force, of which she is co-chair. She urged faith communities to get involved in implementing the recommendations, many of which are directly related to housing and homelessness. A spirited discussion followed. The EndPoverty recommendations can be downloaded at http://www.endpovertyedmonton.ca/new-page-1/